Tesla-like dashboard for your car
Integrated car computers (or carputers) are not only for expensive cars like the Tesla Model X nor is it only for complex car DIY projects that require you to have a degree in engineering.
Not many people know how easy it is; by combining a few components it is possible to make it for any car.
With Raspberry Pi, we can make your car Tesla-like and integrate it into a real carputer. With a Raspberry Pi car touch screen, your ordinary car is opened up with vast possibilities and opportunities.
In Tesla everything is controlled from the large touch screen in the center console. From climate control, maps overview, cabin overheat protection and many more features.
This functionality is no longer only for Tesla drivers. This guide will show you how similar functionality can be built. Here are some of the cool features you get:
You do not need to have great knowledge about the Raspberry Pi and do not require any special tools as no modifications are made to your car.
Here is all you need:
- Raspberry Pi 3 Model B (get it here)
- Raspberry Pi 7" Touchscreen Display (get it here)
- SmartiPi Touch Case (get it here)
- AutoPi Dongle with OBD-II Extension Cable (get it here)
- AutoPi Raspberry Pi 3 Adapter Board (get it here)
- 2x GoPro Adhesive Mounts (get it here)
- Optional: Raspberry Pi Camera Module (get it here)
- Optional: SmartiPi Touch Back Cover (get it here)
Goal of this guide
The goal of this step by step guide is to show you how a powerful car computer with a touch screen interface and a lot of functionality, can easily be built into your car.
This guide will not go into details about the actual mounting in your specific car, as it may be slightly different from car to car.
The AutoPi platform gives us a lot of functionality out-of-the-box, which makes the job much easier. Here are some of the highlights, which we can use in this project:
- Power supply, car diagnostics and telemetry from the OBD-II port
- 4G/LTE connection, GPS, accelerometer data and voice speaker
- GPS for directions
- An advanced dashboard with widgets (will be used in our car computer). See more here.
We want to add the following functionality to our dashboard:
- Gauges to show Speed/RPM/Fuel
- Current position on Map
- Buttons to control AC temperature
- Buttons to control radio volume
- Cabin overheat protection
This should be the final result after assembly of our hardware:
Here are the steps
First we need to assemble everything in the SmartPi case.
Tip: The screen could also be located on the steering column and used as a replacement or addition to the standard instrument gauges.
That’s it, you have now installed a touch screen computer to your car. All you need to do now is configure which widgets you want displayed on your dashboard.
AutoPi dashboard is super easy to work with and it is fully customizable, meaning you can configure it as much as you want. You also have an opportunity to choose among many useful features, called add-ons that will improve your overall experience even more.
Obviously, it depends on your preferences. Check out AutoPi add-ons and choose whatever you like and will help to improve your driving experience.